Ellsworth, Michigan 49729
Phone: 231-588-7411
Email: office@villageofellsworth.com

March 15










MARCH 15, 2021




Meeting was called to order at 6:03 p.m. by Rusty Powers, Chairperson.


  • Members Present: Powers, Palajac, Peterson, Faculak, Campbell, Rasmussen
  • Members Absent: Waterman, Sundelius, Worgess


Others Present: Lynn Spearing


Agenda:  Powers amended the Agenda for March 15 to remove renewal process for DDA members and remove approval of the DDA 2021 schedule since these items were taken care of at the previous meeting. Moved by Faculak to approve the meeting agenda and seconded by Peterson.

Motion carried by unanimous consent.


Meeting Minutes: Moved by Campbell to approve the minutes from the January 25, 2021 regular meeting and seconded by Faculak.

Motion carried by unanimous consent.


Monthly Reports


Treasurer’s Report: Peterson reported that there are no funds at this time.


Village of Ellsworth Report: Campbell reported that the sewer project is still going through the process.


Committee Reports


  • Water Trail Initiative – Faculak reported that there will be a ribbon cutting for the water trail that will take place in Ellsworth on May 26, 2021. The DDA and the Village Council will be invited. Campbell reported that Dan Bennett from Jordan Valley Outfitters is interested in installing lockers that will hold kayaks and can be opened with an app by the beach where Paddle Antrim launches.
  • Village Blight Control – Spearing reported that we will have the Village clean up this year. Palajac reported that garbage from the Recycling center is blowing onto The House on the Hill Bed and Breakfast property. Palajac will report this to Pete Garwood from the County and Wendy Warren from the Recycling department for a solution. Powers reported there is a house on Park street that looks terrible. Powers will file a complaint with the Village.
  • Ellsworth Beautification – Powers reported that Worgess will be in charge of the town pride day contest.
  • Business Retention and Recruitment – Spearing reported that there will be an outdoor Beer Garten located in the Gold Nugget parking lot with food and live music. The Village Council has not been approached by the owner, Kayla Thomas. Faculak will contact her to encourage her to discuss this idea with the Council and DDA. Spearing suggested that she improve the blight there and possibly be able to get a grant to help with the clean up. Noise could possibly be a problem.                        
  • Farmer’s Market – Waterman is absent.
  • Housing – Faculak suggested everyone fill out the survey regarding housing. Good response coming in. Steve Schell will be speaking at the next meeting. The following month, the County Commissioner will be in attendance. Faculak reported that it would be a good idea to be declared an opportunity zone.


Old Business


  • Dog Run Development – Powers reported that he met with a fencing person. He had some suggestions. Most of the fencing is salvageable. The estimated price is $4,500. Powers does not think this will be a possibility for this year.
  • Housing Update – see Committee Reports
  • Town Pride Day 2021 – The date will be May 8, 2021. Worgess will be working on the details of the contests and barbecue. Spearing reported that the Pig Roast will be taking place on a different scale because of Covid this year.
  • Grants for Village Branding – Spearing reported that Rotary Charities wants to work with the DDA as an entity and help us create a plan. The next step is to set up a meeting and getting a grant application to Rotary Charities. Spearing submitted a grant to AARP for a pickle ball court.


New Business


  • Renewal process for DDA members – removed as per Powers
  • Approval of the DDA 2021 schedule – removed as per Powers
  • Possible water bottle plant in Ellsworth – Spearing reported that she spoke with a gentleman that wants to build a water bottle plant. Spearing has not been able to contact him. She will keep trying.

Other business: Faculak reported the Breezeway Garage Sales will take place Memorial Day weekend.


Public Comment: None




Motion to adjourn at 7:06 p.m. by Faculak and seconded by Peterson.

Motion approved by unanimous consent.


The next regular meeting will on Monday, April 26, 2021 at 6:00 p.m. at the Banks Township Hall located at 6520 Center Street, Ellsworth. 231-588-7411




_________________________________________________________  March 15, 2021

Submitted by: Marci Palajac, Secretary






_________________________________________________________   ___________________

Approved by: Rusty Powers, Chairperson                                        Date