VILLAGE OF ELLSWORTH
DOWNTOWN DEVELOPMENT AUTHORITY
JULY 27, 2020
Meeting called to order at 6:10 p.m. by Rusty Powers, Chairperson.
- Members Present: Jan Rasmussen, Rusty Powers, Julie Waterman, Hugh Campbell, Marci Palajac
- Members Absent: Mary Peterson, Judy Worgess, Mary Faculak, Tina Sundelius
- Others Present: Lynn Spearing
Agenda: Moved by Waterman to approve the meeting agenda, seconded by Campbell. Motion carried by unanimous consent.
Meeting Minutes: Correction: Palajac needs to be added as member present at the June 22 meeting. Moved by Campbell to approve the minutes from June 22nd regular meeting, seconded by Waterman. Motion carried by unanimous consent.
Treasurer’s Report: Peterson reported to Powers that the DDA has no financial accounts or funds at this time.
Village of Ellsworth Report: Campbell reported that the water trail signs will be placed soon. There will be coverage by media.
- Water Trail Initiative – See above report from Village of Ellsworth Report.
- Village Blight Control – Spearing reported that places around town are looking a little better. The corner of Lake street needs to be addressed according to Powers. Powers will be putting in an official complaint about that property. Campbell reported that the Ellsworth police officer will have her own phone shortly.
- Ellsworth Beautification – Tabled
- Business Retention and Recruitment – Powers reported that the Dollar General constructions has started.
- Farmer’s Market – Waterman reported that there are a good amount of customers at the Farmer’s Market, and two new vendors.
- DDA development and TIFA planning – Spearing reported that we are all set with everything that needs to be approved.
- Strategy for developing more housing in Ellsworth – Faculak reported through Powers that the housing crisis is rapidly becoming worse. She has had many inquiries for homes in the area. Powers will reach out to Al Drenth about this being the opportune time to provide homes. Campbell reported the foundation is in at the community square.
- Turning the community archery range into a dog park – Powers asked for opinions on having a dog park in this area. The members present expressed in the positive. Discussion ensued on whether the DNR will allow it and how we could make it happen. Powers discussed putting up the rules and a dispenser. Powers will contract to get a sign made and the Village will pay for it. Campbell will take care of the dispenser.
- Improving the Village beach/park area – Powers reported that he has noticed there is no shade at the beach area. He suggested some kind of shade covering, like a pavilion. Rasmussen suggested 3 or 4 short docks for people at the campground. Campbell reported there will be improvements to the Village park.
Motion to adjourn at 7:00 p.m. by Waterman and seconded by Rasmussen.
The next regular meeting will be held at the Pavilion on August 24 at 6:00 PM.
_____________________________________________________________ July 27, 2020
Submitted by: Marci Palajac, Secretary