Ellsworth, Michigan 49729
Phone: 231-588-7411
Email: office@villageofellsworth.com

August 24

DRAFT

AUGUST 24, VILLAGE OF ELLSWORTH

DOWNTOWN DEVELOPMENT AUTHORITY

REGULAR MEETING

2020

Meeting called to order at 6:04 p.m by Rusty Powers, Chairperson.

  • Members Present: Mary Faculak, Jan Rasmussen, Rusty Powers, Tina Sundelius, Marci Palajac, Julie Waterman, Hugh Campbell

  • Members Absent: Judy Worgess, Mary Peterson

Others Present: Lynn Spearing

Agenda: Moved by Faculak to approve the meeting agenda, seconded by Waterman.

Motion carried by unanimous consent.

Meeting Minutes: Moved by Waterman to approve the minutes from the July 27th, 2020 meeting, seconded by Rasmussen. Motion carried by unanimous consent.

Treasurer’s Report: Peterson reported to Powers that the DDA has no financial accounts or funds at this time.

Village of Ellsworth Report: Campbell reported that streets have been paved.

Campbell passed around an email from a citizen who is displeased with the development of Dollar General. We all read the email.

There is still a search ongoing for the sewage lagoon.

Campbell is looking for a builder for a pavilion.

Committee Reports:

  • Water Trail Initiative – Powers reported that new signs have been put up along the lake. Faculak reported that Breezeway Paddle Sports are still planning to set up in Ellsworth. They are in need of employees at this time to move forward.

  • Village Blight Control – Spearing reported that our police officer has sent out notices to those not abiding.

  • Ellsworth Beautification – Faculak reported that the Fall Cruises will take place across the Breezeway. The Scarecrow contest will also take place on September 23rd. Breezeway Garage Sales will be running Labor Day weekend.

  • Business Retention and Recruitment – NeedMore Storage and Dollar General are the current new businesses in town.

  • Farmer’s Market – Waterman reported that the market is going well. The Amish have set up a booth.

Old Business:

  • DDA development and TIFA planning – Spearing said we are all set with this.

  • Ellsworth housing – Powers spoke with Al Drenth. The corner lots of Hillman Estates are sold. He has seven lots left. Campbell reported there a two other homes that will be built at this time. Powers spoke with Dave Rasmussen, who is making two apartments available in his building. Faculak will ask Jane Mackenzie from Northern Homes to speak at a DDA meeting.

  • Dog park planning – Powers reported that he is getting a solid list together that needs to be addressed for the park. Funding to make this happen will need to be looked at. Waterman reported that the enclosure is full of splinters. Powers will report back with a cost list at the next meeting. Powers requested that if there are any other requests to add to the list, please speak with him. Faculak encouraged us to check out Boyne City’s dog park to get ideas.

  • Beach improvement – Powers is open to ideas to improve the comfort of the the beach. Powers suggested a canvas awning for shade. Powers suggests that if you would like to give ideas, please send a text to him.

New Business:

  • No new business at this time.

Public Comment:

  • No public comment.

Discussion about Future Ideas:

Sundelius reported that her daughter and her husband are interested in property on Lake street and Bridge street. They are interested in getting into Glamping in tiny houses. The question will be about zoning and variances. She wants someone to speak with them and give guidance. Faculak suggested that they reach out to her.

Powers suggested encouraging Food Trucks to come in. He would like us to ruminate on that thought. Faculak wants us to explore the possibility of having a Wooden Shoe Festival this year. Spearing reported that the Lioness’s will be forming a new club called the Upper Chain of Lakes Women’s Club.

Motion to adjourn at 7:05 p.m. by Waterman and seconded by Faculak. Motion approved by unanimous consent.

The next regular meeting will be held at the Pavilion on September 28, 2020 at 6:00 P. M.

___________________________________________________________ August 24, 2020

Submitted by: Marci Palajac, Secretary

___________________________________________________________ ________________

Approved by: Rusty Powers, Chairperson